Welcome to April, and the last month of classes! Here in the Library, we know how busy and stressful the next month can be for everyone, with studying, final projects, etc. So, we decided to compile a list, full of suggestions from all the Library staff, in order to help all the learners at MHC along with their “end of the semester” studying!
Don’t worry: in honor of National Humor Month, and April Fools Day, this post will be full of jokes! As they say, a joke that helps with your studies is an e-joke-cational one!
try these tips:
- Find a quiet place to study–too much noise might keep you distracted (noise cancelling headphones work too!)
- Make sure you have ample lighting; it might leave you and your studies in the dark if you don’t
- Take breaks if you need them; don’t overwhelm yourself
- Stay hydrated, or else you might wash away your chances of a good grade
- Remember to have a snack! Little pieces of chocolate or candy work well as the sugar and caffeine content will give your brain a little pick-me-up, which makes studying all the sweeter
- Work on one class at a time, because jumping from subject to subject might confuse you
- Save your notes, studying tools, or projects frequently if you’re working on a computer, otherwise you may lose the drive to keep studying
- Repetition. Write it over, write it over, and say it out loud! Repetition can help the knowledge stick in your brain and make it easier to recall during your exams
- Study with a friend! You can keep yourselves accountable, and bounce more study ideas and tips off of each other!
- Make a schedule or a time table. This will help you budget your time for each subject more efficiently, and help you better understand and see how much progress you’re making. That way you won’t be overdue on anything
- Triage your academic priorities! Knowing which classes and projects should be at the top of your list is important, so you know where you should be focusing all of your energy
We here at the Library have quite a few ways to help you with your technological studying needs too! We have a variety of multimedia resources for you to sign out, such a USB drives, headphones, therapy light lamps, and more! All you need is your Student ID card!
We also have different spaces within the Library for you study, such as the Computer Lab, the Quiet Study Room, and the Group Study Rooms. The Computer Lab has access to two scanners for you to scan your notes electronically, and The Quiet Study Room is for those learners who just need peace and quiet while they work! The Group Study Rooms are certainly better for a crowd, with room for up to four people! You can book the Group Study Rooms in advance for up to two hours at the bottom of our Library website! Or, you can click this link and get right to the booking page: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/GroupStudyRooms@mhc.ab.ca/bookings/
If you’re looking for even more information, tips and tricks, you can also take a look at the online recordings of Student Success Sessions! You can find all of the current recordings at https://www.mhc.ab.ca/Services/AcademicSupport/Student-Success-Sessions as well as the calendar for any in person classes that Academic Support is putting on!
If you need more information, or need to ask any questions at all, you can always come see us during our open hours, or contact us via email or phone! And, follow us on social media @mhclibrary for more fun tips and tricks through the last push of the semester!
What’s a mathematician’s favorite dessert?