Walking into the college library for the first time can be intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. Library staff are always willing to help, but if you are attempting to find a book on your own, here’s a few tips:
- Search for the book title in the library catalogue, it can be accessed from the library webpage. Type your title into the search box. Using “quotation marks” around your title will help your search bring up accurate results.
- If the book is owned by MHC you will see the notation “Held by: MHC Libraries” just under the book description. If the book is currently available, you will see the green check mark beside the notation “Available”.
- If a book is both owned by MHC and Available you should be able to find it on the library shelves. Use the call number, (the circled number above) to locate the book.
- Each book shelf in the library has a label on it. It tells you the range of call numbers that can be found within it.
- Books are ordered alphabetically based on the first letter (or two) of their call number. In the MHC library, A’s begin on the bookshelf with the orange kangaroo on top.
- Our FIND IT! guide can help you navigate the shelves to the resources you need.
- Finally, remember that library staff are here to help! You just need to ask.
Hello students! For those of you who are just starting, welcome to the Medicine Hat College, and for those of you returning, welcome back! The library is excited to see you and we’re once again here to help you along the path to success.
As we all know, a journey always starts with the first step… into the library! In this case, that first step is getting your student ID card. Here is some quick information to help you figure out what you need.
To get a student ID card, please proceed to the library. Once you’re there, please stand in the line up to receive your card. Bring a piece of government issued photo ID with you; otherwise, you will not be able to receive your student card. Once you reach the front of the line, we will use your ID card to confirm your identity and then take your photo. We’ll then hand back your government issued ID as well as your brand-spankin’-new student ID card, once it’s printed.
- If you have lost your card and you need a new one, there is a $5 replacement fee. Try not to lose it!
- Your student ID will give you access to library materials, the weight room/gym, and student events, among other things.
- Keep your card as long as you are a student. You will receive a new yearly expiry sticker.
- If you are accessing material off campus through the library system it will ask you for your barcode. This barcode is the longer 14-digit number found on the bottom of your card, under the physical barcode.
Don’t worry about waiting in the line. Simply walk up to the main library service desk and ask for your card to be renewed. We will give you a new expiry sticker and that’s it- you’re done!
Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow. – Anthony J. D’Angelo
We understand that sometimes it’s hard to get started on projects when you’re not even sure where to start. Don’t worry! That’s where the library and our other services come in. This is going to be a dedicated resources for everyone where they can find information related to their assignments and services at Medicine Hat College. Stay tuned for tidbits, tricks and important information to help you along your academic journey.
Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter. — Izaak Walton